Skip to Content

Can You Use an Extension Cord for a Stove? (Answered)

You often need an extension cord to plug in your appliances, but there aren’t any suitable outlets nearby. It’s not just you. It is common for people to need to use an extension cord for a stove at some point. So, what’s the verdict? Is it safe to use an extension cord for a stove? 

Using an extension cord for a stove

An extension cord is not a safe method of powering a stove. Appliances such as stoves exert high heat and pressure that extension cords cannot handle. This can cause cords to overheat, melt, or catch fire. An appliance plugged into an extension cord while in use could overload the circuit.

In general, extension cords are not designed to handle the heat and pressure exerted by appliances such as stoves. Furthermore, if an appliance is plugged into the extension cord while it’s in use, the circuit could be overloaded and dangerous.

Additionally, extension cords do not usually come with safety features such as ground prongs. To protect your electronics from unwanted surges, make sure you use a quality surge protector when using an extension cord for a stove.

Gas stove:

An extension cord will work with a gas stove. Ensure that the cord has the appropriate safety features, such as ground prongs. Several reasons may allow you to use an extension cord with a gas stove. First of all, a typical gas stove uses around 1200 watts of power. 

In contrast, a regular electric stove consumes 3000 watts. You can use an extension cord for a gas stove because it consumes less power.

Secondly, you can protect your electronics from unwanted surges by using a cord with the appropriate safety features. You can also use an extension cord if you don’t have access to an outlet nearby to give you more working space.

Electric stove:

An extension cord for an electric stove is not typically a good idea. Electric stoves use 3000 watts of power, while extension cords for stoves can handle no more than 1000 watts at most. An extension cord could easily overheat or catch fire if it is plugged into an electrical appliance.

Additionally, if your plug does not have a ground prong on it, then metal objects can touch the live wire in the extension cord, causing ELECTRICITY to flow through it and possibly injuring you.

Is it safe to use an extension cord for a stove?

It is not safe to use an extension cord for a stove. Since stoves consume such a low amount of power, an extension cord can only handle a small portion of the total wattage your stove consumes. 

Using an extension cord with an electrical appliance could easily cause you to overheat or even catch on fire.

An extension cord should not be used for a stove because it can become wrapped around the burner, causing an electrical fire. It occurs when the cord gets too hot and starts smoking or sparking. 

Extension cords can overload outlets and potentially cause a fire. Extension cords are designed to carry a large amount of current, which exceeds the capacity of an outlet. 

You should always make sure that an extension cord used for appliances such as stoves or TVs is properly protected by a surge protector.

Are extension cords against fire code?

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) prohibits extension cords for stoves. You should only use extension cords for a limited number of appliances, and you should use a surge protector for problem areas like stovetops.

As per NFPA code, extension cords should only be used for a limited number of “standard appliances, like TVs and blenders. For other appliances, like stoves and vacuums, use actual cords instead.” 

Further, extension cords should not be used for appliances that use a high wattage, are in an area where they could fall or be pulled out, or are damaged.

It is against the fire code of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to use extension cords. According to OSHA, ” extension cords should not be used for carrying an electric wire or cord over a floor.” 

extension cords should only be used for a limited number of “standard” appliances, and you should use a surge protector for areas like stovetops.

What happens if you use an extension cord for a stove?

A lot can go wrong when you use an extension cord for a stove. The cord may trip you over or cause you to injure yourself. Understand how to safely use an extension cord and be aware of all the dangers that come along with it. 

The following are some scenarios you will face if you use an extension cord with a stove.

Stovetop Extension Cords Can Cause Injury:

When you use an extension cord for a stove top, you can get injured. You may not be aware of all the dangers associated with the cord, because it could be dangerous. If extension cords are exposed to heat or voltage surges, they can be dangerous. 

Furthermore, they may pose a trip hazard because they are easy to trip over.

Tripped Over the Cord and Fall Hurtfully:

The extension cord can cause you to trip and fall if you use it for a stovetop. There could be a head injury, an arm injury, or even a broken bone caused by this. You might also get an electrical shock if you’re using an extension cord that isn’t properly made.

Pulled Out of the Stove Top Wiring Can Be Ruined:

Using an extension cord for a stovetop could ruin your wiring. Since extension cords are designed for low-current applications like powering small appliances or lamps, they place more stress on wiring than high-current appliances. 

Consequently, extension cord wiring can break, fray, or even catch fire.

Cut Off Due to a Surge Can Cause an Electrical Shock:

Using an extension cord on a stovetop may result in an electrical shock. Plugging an extension cord into a power outlet may cause the current in the cord to surge. A faulty extension cord could cut off your electricity and result in a dangerous electric shock.

The Cord Could Be Hot Enough to Burn You:

An extension cord connected to a stovetop could be hot enough to burn you. Metal wire in extension cords can get drastically hot when they’re plugged into a stovetop or other appliance because they’re made of metal. Heat like this could cause you to catch fire if you’re not careful.

What gauge extension cord do I need for a stove? How to measure?

Extension cords should not be used for stoves, but if you are planning on using them as a temporary solution, you should use 8 to 10-gauge extension cords. It is necessary to find the voltage and watts before measuring the gauge extension. 

Following that, you have to determine the amps and then select the gauge. You can do that by following these steps.

Find the voltage:

The first thing you need to do is determine what voltage is being supplied to your extension cord at the moment. You can measure the voltage coming out of the power supply by connecting a voltmeter to an outlet and plugging it into it. 

There are usually three types of voltages used in most countries, 115 volts, 220 volts, and 240 volts.

Find the watts:

The next step is for you to figure out how many watts are flowing through your stove at any given time. This will give you a better idea of how strong its electrical current is. Every electrical appliance has a wattage written on the side of it. 

Generally, electrical stoves run on a power supply of 3000 watts. As for the gas stove, it runs on 1200 watts of electricity.

Calculate the amps:

As the last step, you should determine how many amps are flowing through your extension cord. An ammeter (current meters usually have this symbol) can be used to measure the current flowing through it. Alternatively, you can use a simple formula. Here is the formula:

Amps = Watts / Volts

For example, if you have a stove that uses 3000 watts of power and you’re using a 120 volt, the extension cord is supplying an amp rating of 25 amps.

Match the amp with the gauge chart

To find the right extension cord for your stove, use the extension cord gauge chart after figuring out your stove’s wattage, amps, and cord gauge. For convenience, here is the chart:


Final Thoughts

Finally, do not use extension cords to power stoves. Stoves and extension cords are not compatible. Overheated extension cords can cause a fire. Additionally, it violates the NFPA code. If you need an extension cord for any reason, please use a 10-gauge extension cord that is UL-approved.