Skip to Content

Can Mold Grow in Spackle? (All You Need to Know)

Molds are microorganisms that can grow anywhere if they get proper moisture and air. In fact, any moisture source can easily get associated with mold growth. If they build up once in a place where they meet up their needs, they will continue to spread rapidly. 

If mold grows anywhere in your house, you need to take preventive measures as soon as possible to knock them out or they may spread their spores all over your house and harm a lot.

Can mold grow in spackle?

Molds thrive in wet and humid atmospheres and are very much attracted to organic compounds. As spackles contain water-based organic ingredients, molds grow in it. Moldy spackles becomes unusable as they lose their strength and become fragile. But if preserved well it can last up to one year.

Molds can grow in spackles and render it useless. Spackles are pasty solids that contain water-based organic compounds that molds use to produce spores because molds thrive in damp environments and are attracted to organic elements that they decompose. 

Molds make the spackle compound smell bad, discolor it, and change its consistency, making it dry and unusable. Mold thrives due to a lack of preservation of spackles when they come into contact with the air, since molds land on any surface and disperse spores. 

When moldy spackle is put on a wall surface, the result is a pale, dull surface that is easily damaged.

Actually, a humid atmosphere promotes mold growth in spackles. 

The components in spackles quickly absorb moisture from the air, which attracts molds and makes it easier for them to survive and proliferate, making the spackles appear blackish and dry, especially during the rainy season when the air is humid. 

Moreover, if the spackle compounds are not properly preserved after opening, air can entrap them, allowing mold spores to rest on them and proliferate. Spackles can be preserved for up to a year if kept in an airtight, moisture-free environment to prevent mold growth.

Why does spackle get moldy?

Molds need organic chemicals to thrive, which they can find in spackles, making them smelly and prone to drying. When there is moisture in the content, mold might strike upon spackles due to improper storage. 

As a result, when exposed to humid air, which is a living supply for them, they grow faster in spackles. In fact, mold grows in spackle because of: 

Frequent exposure to air: 

If the compounds are stored in an airtight container, they can last for up to nine months or more. However, when they are exposed to air, molds spread their spores, and these molds have a chance to land on them and grow further.

Humidity rises up: 

When the humidity level in the atmosphere is greater than fifty to sixty percent and this humid air is entrapped in the spackle compound in any way, it can stimulate mold growth since mold growth is aided by humidity in the air.

Rise in the temperature: 

When the temperature in the environment rises above the typical room temperature, such as fifty to sixty degrees Celsius, the spackles are more likely to form mold because the temperature accelerates their growth rate.

How to keep spackle from getting moldy?

To keep spackles in good condition and free from mold, keep them away from damp air, moisture, and excessive temperatures. Mold will grow if the temperature is kept between thirty and forty degrees Celsius; any temperature above or below this will cause mold to grow. 

Follow these steps to keep spackle from getting moldy: 

Storage in airtight containers: 

To prevent mold growth, spackles should be kept in airtight containers that do not allow any air or moisture to enter. Some people like to add a tiny amount of water before sealing the lid. 

If mold begins to grow on the top, the upper moldy surface must be discarded and then stored.

Preserve with chlorine bleach: 

To preserve it for a long time, three to four tablespoons of water should be added first, followed by the chlorine bleach. Then properly wrap it in bubble wrap. 

If properly secured, it will stay mold-free for six to seven months and be good for nine to ten months after opening. It will aid in the elimination of an unpleasant odor if it becomes infected with mold by securing the texture.

Adding vinegar to the spackles: 

Some people add vinegar to the spackles so that the molds are diluted when they come into contact with the acidic formula of vinegar. However, this has no influence on the spackles’ texture.

How can you tell if spackle is bad?

Though it’s tough to examine if the spackle is bad, there are a few signs of understanding the bad spackle. If the spackle gets moldy, you will notice a bad smell from the surface. The color shed isn’t consistent and it will start to fade out or become discolor. 

The consistency will change which will result in peeling off or falling out of the spackles. 

Moldy spackles become weak and fragile which will result in cracking in the surface. It actually degrades the quality of the surface, so you shouldn’t use the moldy spackle. The surface will smell so bad that you can bear it. The surface will look dull and will have blackish spots on it.

How long does spackle last?

Spackles don’t last long. The shelf life of spackles is approximately nine months to one year. However, it depends on the process of preserving it because if it gets continuously connected with air and moisture, it will get moldy soon which will decrease its shelf life making it unusable.

But if you preserve it in an waterproof airtight container it may last long and you can reuse it. 

Can you use a spackle with mold? What happens if you do?

Moldy spackles should not be used since it will increase the risk of mold growth in the areas where it has been used. Even if it has to be used, it should be sanitized and mold-free before being reused. 

Mold has a tendency to destroy the materials it develops on, so using moldy spackles can degrade the surface quality, turn it blackish, and smell terrible, and will not last long. 

Molds degrade the components, causing them to dry out: 

If the spackle is in molds, the compounds will dry out, resulting in cracking and shrinking. Decomposed materials have a tendency to weaken the surface on which they must be utilized. 

Due to mold growth, the decomposing after application on the walls would smell like rotten eggs. 

Discoloration of the Spackle: 

The moldy spackle turns a bluish, gray, or brown color. If this moldy spackle is employed, the surface will have patches of blackish deposits or spots of black mold, making the surface look dull.

It spreads bad odor: 

Moldy spackle emits a foul odor as the organic chemicals in the spackle decompose, so they should not be utilized unless the mold has been removed. 

Health-related issues: 

Moldy spackle, when used to coat the outside layer of walls, raises the risk of health issues for users. 

Users who stay on moldy surfaces for long periods of time will develop pneumonia and lung disorders, as mold can migrate from the surface to the human respiratory centers.

Can you spackle over mold?

It’s not a wise decision to spackle over mold. Spackle over mold will be a temporary solution for mold. It’ll not eliminate the problem until you destroy the molds. Actually, moldy spackles don’t stay too long because of the rapid growth of mold, making spackles weak and fragile. 

Mold will result, the change of the consistency in the spackle really quick and it will dry out the spackle.

 Moreover, the color will fade and discolor within a short period of time. So, it’s better to stop mold’s growth first before spackling. 

You can clean the mold simply by making a spray with vinegar and baking soda and then identify where the excess moisture is coming from and take steps to treat it. 

Does spackle clear mold?

Spackles don’t clear mold rather it attracts mold if it’s not preserved well and air gets contacts with it. As spackle is a water based organic compound, it provides a perfect environment to build up their spores. 

Molds are attracted to organic elements so, they will continue to grow in spackles until they get enough air and moisture in it. 

Molds grow so rapidly in the humid atmosphere of spackle which will make it unusable as the consistency will start to change and the spackles will easily peel off and dry out. 

Final thoughts

When spackles aren’t well preserved, molds get attracted as they find proper moisture and air in them. Molds thrive in damp environments and are attracted to organic elements like spackles as they contain water based compounds. Mold dry out the spackle compounds and make the spackle unusable.